I believe that a leader’s personality plays a huge role in
the success of their leadership. On the other hand I don’t think that there are specific
personality traits that can be said to guarantee to result in
effective leadership. I believe that the success of the leader is a product of their environment and the culture of the company. Interpersonal relationships also play a huge role in the effectiveness of a leader. If your employees don't respect you or understand you, you will achieve nothing. There are important characteristics that are imperative in all
situations. Someones internal locus of
control and being able to get along with many different kinds of people are key factors as well. I think leaders that are well organized, self-motivated, and reliable prosper. When a leader exudes these traits it fosters a healthy work environment as well as a sense of trust. A self-motivated leader is one that leads by example. Take me for instance, I have a personality where I won't ask or expect something from someone unless I can do it myself. I played numerous sports in high school but excelled in Ice Hockey and Softball. When I was named captain of both of my teams I choose the path of being a leader by example. I embodied what I wanted of other and expected, this lead to expectations being understood and achieved. I felt like I had the respect of my teammates and we had a common goal in winning. This trait in me is an example of having an internal locus of control. A internal locus of controls means a person thinks that their success is due to their own efforts and merit rather then by luck. I also am a firm believer in fostering relationships with either employees or teammates. Getting along with different personalities is very important in achieving satisfaction and in the long run productivity.
When it comes to the personality tests we were asked to take I feel like we can learn a lot about ourselves, it might bring something to light that you would have never thought. As far as whether the results dictate a effective leader, I would say no. There are always exceptions to things, and many people can surprise you. For example mine said I was introverted, this I feel is off because I am a social butterfly and love being in a group or team. I am not someone who can sit in my room and do work alone, I'd much rather go to the library and work at a table with my roommates.
Overall, I think personality plays a vital role in
the effectiveness of a leader, but its not the only role. There are many kinds of leaders that come form many different environments and situations that all call for a kind of different leader. This being said there is no set mold for what personality traits dictate a successful leader.
No comments:
Post a Comment